Saturday 21 January 2012

The Fickle Face of Teaching

It's been a mixed week for me.  On Monday I had a run in with a student.  He challenged my teaching methods, and I challenged his attitude.  We came to a mutual agreement to move forward, but it left me feeling rather despondent.

On Tuesday, I had quite productive lessons with my usually more difficult learners.  I feel we've built up a better relationship, and that we're all benefiting from this.

On Wednesday, I had a great lesson.  We had fun, we learned lots, and the students were fully engaged.  I even came away from the lesson with the next session fully planned out in my head.

This seems to be the normal way of things in teaching.  I don't think I'm alone in going from one extreme to another on an almost hourly basis.  I am constantly experimenting with what works and what doesn't, and there is always the unexpected reaction of my learners to deal with.  Whilst this makes for an interesting and challenging career, I do sometimes wish for a simpler life!

No comments:

Post a Comment